Weather permitting, the 3rd-8th grade boys will hit the field starting on Saturday, March 3rd. Blue Wave Buddies starts March 31st. Please always check the web site for date, time and location of practices and games as they can change due to weather and other situations beyond our control. The House League season ends with a round robin championship tournament and the DYLax Bar-B-Q Extravaganza for all players (house, intramural, travel) and their families on May 20th.
TENTATIVE TRYOUTS DATES FOR SPRING 2018 BOYS LACROSSE
8th grade boys
Date Time Details Event Location
Sat, Mar 10 03:00 PM - 04:30 PM 8th Grade Boys Travel Tryout DHS Stadium
Sun, Mar 11 8;00AM--9:30 AM 8th Grade Boys Travel * Tryout SONO FIELDHOUSE
Mon, Mar 12 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 8th Grade Boys Travel Tryout DHS Stadium
Wed, Mar 14 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 8th Grade Boys Travel Tryout DHS Stadium
7th grade boys
Date Time Details Event Location
Sat, Mar 10 01:00 PM - 02:30 PM 7th Grade Boys Travel Tryout DHS Stadium
Sun, Mar 11 01:00 PM - 02:30 PM 7th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Center Oval - Turf
Tue, Mar 13 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 7th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Center Oval - Turf
Thu, Mar 15 07:00 PM - 08:30 PM 7th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Norwalk, SoNo Fieldhouse
6th grade boys
Date Time Details Event Location
Sat, Mar 17 03:00 PM - 04:30 PM 6th Grade Boys Travel Tryout DHS Stadium
Sun, Mar 18 03:00 PM - 04:30 PM 6th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Center Oval - Turf
Mon, Mar 19 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 6th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Stadium East
Wed, Mar 21 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 6th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Oval – Upper
5th grade boys
Date Time Details Event Location
Sat, Mar 17 01:00 PM - 02:30 PM 5th Grade Boys Travel Tryout DHS Stadium
Sun, Mar 18 01:00 PM - 02:30 PM 5th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Center Oval - Turf
Tue, Mar 20 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 5th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Stadium East
Wed, Mar 21 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM 5th Grade Boys Travel Tryout Darien, DHS Center Oval - Turf
Weather permitting, the 3rd-8th grade boys will hit the field starting on Saturday, March 3rd. Please always check the web site for date, time and location of practices and games as they can change due to weather and other situations beyond our control. The House League season ends with a round robin championship tournament and the DYLax Bar-B-Q Extravaganza for all players (house, intramural, travel) and their families on May 20th.
The boys program has been carefully coordinated with Jeff Brameier, the DHS Boy’s Varsity Lacrosse Coach. This curriculum has been designed to maximize the skill development of players at each respective level in a progressive fashion. In so doing we will attempt to increase the continuity of the experience between coaches and between age groups. The focus of all of our programs, house and travel, is to encourage growth and development in a fun environment.
NEW AGE SEGMENTATION FOR BOYS HOUSE LACROSSE
Last season CONNY lacrosse set forth new age guidelines for travel teams. This year DYLax is adapting these guidelines for house lacrosse
These new rules affect very few players
Players who are affected by age segmentation will be contacted just prior to the start of the season
DYLax house programs will give players the option to conform to these new guidelines
Boys and Girls with birthdays before Sept 1 of the previous grade year (e.g. a child born before Sept 1 and began K at age 6) may play with the grade above
2nd graders who are age eligible may now play 3rd/ 4th house
4th graders who are age eligible may now play 5th/ 6th house
Current 6th graders who play 7th grade travel MUST play 5th/ 6th house this spring
BOYS HOUSE PROGRAM
* Blue Wave Buddies (1st and 2nd grade boys and girls).Clinics will be held once a week on Saturday afternoons. The primary coaches for this program are the eighth grade players (with adult supervision). The younger players love the attention from the older players and it is a terrific opportunity for our eighth graders to give back and grow as young adults. The focus is on teaching the fundamentals of the sport while striving to maximize player enthusiasm and a love for the sport. The emphasis here is on fun.
* 3rd and 4th Grade Boys- All House League- No Travel: Practice will be in a clinic format on Fridays, with games on Saturdays and Sundays. The games will be 7 on 7 on a shortened field. The benefit of this format is that it will maximize the number of "touches" that each player has with the ball, thereby improving skill development. In the games all players will play all positions, rotating in pairs from defense to midfield to attack and then off. Players take turns playing goalie, and each team is given a full set of protective goalie equipment.
* 5th and 6th Grade Boys-
House League: The boys will be divided into teams following initial evaluations. Practices will be held on Wednesdays in a clinic format. As opposed to cross-field games in 3rd/ 4th, the 5th/6th graders play full field games on Saturdays and Sundays. As with the 3rd/4th house program, we consider our house program to be a major contributor to the success of lacrosse in Darien. All players get equal time, everyone gets to try all the positions, and teams are small enough where players get plenty of “ball time” to develop their skills. The same rotation through the positions described in the 3rd/4th section applies to 5th/6th except the boys rotate through the positions in groups of three.
Travel: NEW 2018 Grade Base with Age Filter
CONNY lacrosse has adopted a grade-based player segmentation policy for all member programs. The change was driven by the US Lacrosse age-based guidelines and their goal of increasing fairness and player safety.
The CONNY policy, which is grade-based and has an age filter, is a modified version of the USL recommendation. The committee felt this configuration would encourage participation and better ensure fairness and safety. For players in grades 4th-7th, the age cutoff will be September 1st of the year preceding the season. Those born before September 1st would automatically play up one grade. Players who are “young in grade” (i.e., are younger than their grade's birthday span) have the option of staying with their grade or playing down in grade.
The cutoff for 8th grade was moved back to March 1st of the year preceding the season, which results in an 18-month age span. This allows the vast majority of 8th graders to continue playing for their town program. Those 8th graders born before the cutoff date can petition CONNY to be allowed to play. To help avoid mismatches at scheduling, the 8th grade section of the CONNY team tiering spreadsheet will include additional columns to show the number of players who do not meet the cutoff, as well as the birth date of the oldest player.
Please click on links below for answers to most questions
****** Age segmentation for boys house is optional while our travel program is required by CONNY to follow their grade base system with Age Filter
******Current 6th grade who play 7th grade A or B team travel will still be required to play 5th/ 6th grade house this spring
5th and 6th Grade Boys Travel
For most players 5th Grade is the first year that boys can try out for travel lacrosse. We have A and B travel teams for both 5th and 6th grades. Travel team placement is based upon the 3 A’s: Attitude, Aptitude and Attendance. Please note that if you play travel you must also play house! Failure to attend house clinics and/or games can result in removal from the travel roster. Also please read and take note of the Travel Commitment language at the bottom of this page. 5th and 6th grade travel will practice on Sundays along with either Monday or Tuesday nights. Teams will also have an additional indoor practice one day per week in April and May. There will also be home and away games scheduled. Also, there will be a supplemental fee for 5th and 6th grade travel players. The travel season ends in mid-June. All travel rosters will be flexible and DYLAX reserves the right to move players when deemed appropriate.
* 7th and 8th Grade Boys-
DYLax will field a total of 6 teams in the 7th and 8th grades.There will be A and B teams in each 7th and 8th grade, and two Senior 7/8 teams.Initial travel rosters will be posted by March 10th . Travel team placement and playing time will be based upon the 3 "A's": Attitude, Aptitude and Attendance. DYLax expects that if you play on one of the A or B travel teams, you will make lacrosse your PRIORITY this spring. All travel rosters will be flexible and DYLax reserves the right to move players when deemed appropriate by the coaches. All 7th and 8th grade teams will practice on Saturdays and Sundays, with the 8A and 8B teams also practicing on Mondays and Wednesdays and the Senior 7/8 team practicing on Fridays. The 7A and 7B teams will also practicing Tuesdays and Wednesdays.Home and away games will also be scheduled. The season will end in mid-June. Blue Wave Buddies 8th Grade Commitment
On Saturday after practice or games, all 8th graders are expected to stay to help coach the Blue Wave Buddies from 5:00 to 6:00 PM
* Travel Commitment – All players selected for A and B travel teams must agree to make DYL travel lacrosse their priority sport for the entire course of the season. Given the number of highly qualified players we have at each grade level, it is not fair to have roster spots go to players who are less than 100% committed to lacrosse in the spring. We expect and encourage all of our athletes to play other sports during the rest of the year, as it both increases athletic development and, more importantly, adds to players’ enthusiasm for all of the sports they play. But we do ask that during our relatively short season that where there are conflicts, you choose DYL travel lacrosse over other sporting events.Also, DYLA and the coaches understand that academics are the number one commitment for our players, and understand that occasionally players will have other non-sport related activities (concerts, religious activities, school events, etc.) that will take priority over DYL lacrosse. However, on the rare chance that these events will cause a player to miss more than 10% of an A or B team's events (practices and games), players should elect to participate in the house or Senior program. If you are not prepared to make DYL travel lacrosse your priority, or you foresee conflicts as mentioned, we offer house (5th and 6th) and our Senior 7/8 team where players can develop their skills and have fun but where there is more flexibility regarding attendance.
* Communication – In order to encourage players to develop as young men, players should communicate directly with their coaches, and by the travel level this is a requirement. This includes concerns or questions regarding playing time, positions, team placement and suggestions for improvement/feedback. An exception is for health issues such as allergies, asthma, ADD/ADHD, diabetes, etc., which parents should communicate directly with coaches if they feel the need. All health issues will be kept strictly confidential.
If parents have issues with a coach, they should discuss those with the boys’ house or travel coordinator, after observing the 24 hour waiting period.
Please remember that all of our coaches are volunteers, and, in the case of our travel coaches, they do not have children on the teams they are coaching. Please respect their time and dedication to creating a fun, learning experience for all of our players.
* BOYS REQUIRED EQUIPMENT: ~ Lacrosse Helmet (Blue Wave Buddies may wear a properly fitted hockey helmet);
~ Mouth Guard;
~ Shoulder Pads with upper arm pads attached
~ Elbow Pads;
~ Protective Cup;
~ Lacrosse Gloves;
~ Boy's Lacrosse Stick